European Commodity Clearing (ECC) is the central clearing house for energy and related products in Europe. Currently, ECC provides clearing services for the Partner Exchanges European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EPEX SPOT Belgium, Hungarian Power Exchange (HUPX), Norexeco, POWER EXCHANGE CENTRAL EUROPE (PXE), Powernext and SEEPEX.
ECC is a recognised partner of transmission system operators in many European countries and is linked to the relevant national emission and energy certificate registries. Thus, ECC ensures physical settlement of power, natural gas and emission allowances.
Security for Trading Participants
- In its role as a central counterparty, ECC assumes the counterparty risk.
- In order to guarantee the fulfilment of transactions, ECC has implemented a margin system which complies with regulatory standards (EMIR, CPSS-IOSCO).
- An approved collateral management system, with different
options to segregate collaterals, adds further protection for segregated Non-Clearing Members or clients.
Synergies through Connectivity
- Working with ECC means that you are connected to Europe’s major commodity exchanges:
- One clearing house membership provides access to this network
and a large variety of asset classes.
- Uniform processes and reports reduce the number of interfaces and create transparency.
- Members benefit from ECC’s cross-commodity margining which reduces the cost of clearing.
- ECC supports the trading participant and is the single point of contact for questions regarding settlement on a 24/7 basis.
- ECC specialises in the physical settlement of grid-bound energy (power, natural gas) and energy-related products (emission allowances) and is responsible for physical settlement.
- ECC guarantees financial fulfilment and carries out cash clearing for purchases and sales of all spot market transactions concluded on our Partner Exchanges, while all payments are netted in order to reduce the cost of clearing.
- The Direct Clearing participant model allows clients to participate in spot clearing without a Clearing Member.
ECC – One clear connection to commodity markets.